Annual One Great Hour of Sharing Brunch & Auction
One of the traditional events in the Easter Season is the One Great Hour of Sharing annual auction and brunch on Palm Sunday, which is March 25 this year.
OGHS is an international ecumenical effort that began in 1947. From the 1990s to the early 2000s, receipts have exceeded $20 million annually. Today, projects are underway in more than 100 countries, including the United States and Canada. While specific allocations differ in each denomination, most One Great Hour of Sharing funds make possible disaster relief, refugee assistance, and development aid.
This Church has traditionally been involved; each year on Palm Sunday, we have had a brunch followed by an auction whose proceeds go to OGHS. Last year the auction raised $8,425 and with other direct giving, the total from this Church to OGHS totaled $12,846 including the auction. The brunch and auction are a lot of fun, as well as being very worthwhile. We hope you will put the date on your calendars.
We would also like to extend an invitation for each of you to be involved in the planning, development and in the event itself. Here are ways you can help:
- Last year there were 29 larger items that were part of the live auction (Joe Hessney is the auctioneer) and 80 items in a silent auction (these 80 items were from 55 total donors). All of the givers from last year need to be contacted, thanked for their gifts, and asked if they want to be donors again this year.
- We need items for the auction. We want to emphasize that the items ideally would be hand-made or home-made. Last year we had items ranging from stays at vacation cottages to painting to hand-made furniture, vintage wines, and numerous other items. We can’t accommodate more items than we had last year, and, in fact, we turned away a few since we did not have room for more than the 109 items that were actually sold. However, we encourage you talented people to use your imaginations and your considerable talents to provide items for the auctions.
- This year we plan to include some of the items of silver plate that the Church has had in storage since the merger of the Churches. However, we want to be sure that the congregation has an opportunity to acquire these items prior to their sale. There will be an article in the Newsletter for February that describes them.
- We need people to volunteer for the setup of all of the items on the Saturday before the auction.
- We need people to help with the brunch and the cleanup afterward.
We are hoping that this will provide an opportunity for anyone in the Church to become involved on a limited basis without the longer term commitment of serving on a committee. Please volunteer to work on this enjoyable event. Call or contact me or the Church office if you are interested. If you are interested, there will be an organizational meeting for the event on Monday, Feb 5 at 7 pm at the Church sponsored by the Interpretation and Stewardship committee and you are invited to attend. Thanks, see you on Palm Sunday, and hopefully before then.